Sunday, February 1, 2009

Last night of freedom...

Well, tonight was it...the last night before my quest to becoming an Ironman begins. My wife (Totters) and I are planning on attempting our first Ironman on September 13, 2009 in Madison. To give you an idea of where we're coming from, and were we're headed (hopefully), let me fill you in on the past 4 months or so...

I got married Septebmer 27 and since then have really not done much training...at all. After a mini-honeymoon to Chicago, we came back only to move into a new house. The weekends consisted of unpacking and numerous trips to Ikea. Before we knew it we were closing in quickly on Thanksgiving. We figured it would be good to have a month or two off before we begin an intense Ironman training program. We'll start after Thanksgiving...

Well Thanksgiving was great and made us quite full. We get back and decide to jump start tri training by spending lots of money. I bought a new Garmin Forerunner 305 heart rate monitor, a new wetsuit, new shoes, some cold weather running gear, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff. Is it wrong I tried to single handily jump start the economy???

Well after Thanksgiving, and a few busy weekends we saw Christmas quickly approaching. So, we'll just start after Christmas. We get back and got a few quality runs in outside in the frigid cold and thought we were back on track. We took a short break for New Year's and next thing you know we have a delayed honeymoon planned for the end of January to Cabo San Lucas. Work got busy and I put in a couple 12+ hour days and decided we might as well go crazy the next 2 weeks, go on our trip (all-inclusive no less) return to MN and hit it hard. We got back late Friday night and thought this was it, finally back to healthy eating and working out. Unfortunately...Super Bowl Sunday was today...

Totters and I were planning on hitting up a Super Bowl party and needed to make a dish to bring and needed a few things from Target. We figured after the past several months we didn't deserve to drive and began walking to our local Target (6 miles away). En route I decide that enough is enough, I'm going to buy a scale to ensure tonight is the last night of poor decision making. We get the scale and necessary items for our pizza dip and while walking home, Totters decided she needed one last meal at Great Moon Buffet (Chinese). Who was I to step in the way of her dream. Fast forward 25 minutes - we're now walking home with stomachaches and a scale in my hand and have a Super Bowl party to attend in 45 minutes. I'm not feeling very good about myself at this current point, so I decide to hop on the scale to drive home the point that tonight HAS to be the last night of poor eating/no working out. 245.1 lbs! I now feel like I should be training for Sumo wrestling as opposed to an Ironman. To give you an idea, I raced last season at around 225 lbs (I'm 6'6...so I'm not that fat) Totters also weighed in. I believe we're keeping that confidential at the current time. Needless to say, this will be our last night eating poorly.

Tomorrow I will take one small step towards becoming an Ironman. Hopefully...

No comments:

Post a Comment